19 YEAR OLD SOLO FEMALE TRAVEL TIPS FOR CENTRAL AMERICA

19 YEAR OLD SOLO FEMALE TRAVEL TIPS FOR CENTRAL AMERICA


That's right she did Costa Rica and Nicaragua at the ripe young age of 19. I know it's not rare for people my age to go travelling but in England it's definitely more common for gap year people to go to Australia or Thailand. Apparently in Germany it's very common to go to Central America, hence why I swear to God half the people I met were German. 

As this was my first solo trip I was a bit apprehensive but then reassured that I was getting picked up directly from Liberia airport and taken to Dreamsea Surf Camp in Tamarindo. I was slightly on edge when the non-english speaking driver took me on a dirt track through the deep jungle in the dark at 11pm but thank the lord it just turns out the camp was based in a more rural area... 

This was the best trip I've ever had and I met some incredible people. I was shown a completely different way of life, not having a plan and not knowing where we would be sleeping the next night! 
As fun as it was safety is always important! Especially as a young, white, blonde-haired blue-eyed, solo female traveller... Here are some tips I tried to keep in mind:


Find yourself a group

Now this might seem easier said than done and it will mean you have to put yourself out there but you'll never know if you never try. I always try to think what's the worst that can happen? You ask to sit with some people at your hostel and they say no (highly unlikely) but then you never have to see them again anyway. The majority of travellers I met all had the same mindset: when you travel you want to meet new people! And generally if people see you're a young woman on your own they will be more than willing to help you out (obviously use your common sense who you choose to speak to!)

I started my trip at a surf camp where I stayed for three weeks. Spending all day everyday with the same people meant we got really close really quickly. Especially at Dreamsea where it's known for its lovely volunteers and you'll be sure to make friends for life. Workaway is a great website where you can find volunteer programmes. Normally by working a few hours a day you can get free accommodation and sometimes even food. If you're forced to work with the same people every day then you're sure to make some new friends. I ended up travelling with the people I met at Dreamsea for the next month! 


Be sensible! 

Common sense can go a long way sometimes. 
  • Don't leaving your valuables in the hostel unattended
  • Make sure you walk busy streets when it's dark at night
  • Always watching your drink
  • Don't obviously wear/show your valuables
  • Keep an eye on your valuables in busy places
  • Try to make sure at least one person knows where you are at any time (even if it's just the owner of the hostel and you're going on a day trip)
  • Try avoid getting into a car alone with anyone or only use certified taxis (joint taxis also save money!)

Have more than one source of money 

This is important for anyone travelling on their own. If one of your cards stops working or at worst gets eaten by the ATM then you need another form of money or you're screwed. I took two cards with me (one Loot card and my normal Lloyds Visa) but still one time I couldn't get money out in San Juan Del Sur and I was lucky I had friends with me who could lend me money. 

I never had an issue carrying cash around with me. I know some people prefer to not have large sums of cash on them but I never let my bag leave my sight and always locked it away when I was at the hostel. 


Trust your instincts 

Again this is a what's the worst that could happen situation. If something is telling you not to get in that taxi then don't get into the taxi, just wait for the next one. If the tour guide doesn't seem legitimate then go ahead and find another company. Even if you're in a situation with another traveller and you don't feel comfortable then just say you're tired and if you want you can see them the next day. 

Act like you know what you're doing 

A scared, weak looking young female can attract the wrong kind of attention. You may not feel confident, I sure as hell didn't on my first solo trip, but the impression of confidence can go a long way. Even if you're lost try to look like you know where you're going until you find a way to become unlost. 


Start early 

5am may sound gross but for safety's sake it's worth it! I got a lottttt of chicken buses around Nicaragua and the later in the day you travel the less chance there is of them running. Sometimes even against your best efforts things don't work out. We got a bus from Santa Teresa in Costa Rica at 6am and wanted to get to San Juan Del Sur in Nicaragua. After one road was closed it took us at least 5hours on a dirt track to get to Liberia, then cross the border in the dark (a somewhat terrifying experience even with 6 other people!) and only just made it to our hostel before reception closed at 10pm. If you don't think you're going to make it safely to your prebooked cancel then just stay at whatever town you're in. If I had been on my own for that journey I probably would have cancelled the San Juan Del Sur hostel and just stayed in Liberia for the night. 

Cover up 

I know it's hot. It's so hot. But if you want to avoid the catcalls and the stares and all the other uncomfortable feelings then covering your shoulders and legs is the best way forward. Loose, thin clothing do fine and dual purpose it will protect you from the sun!
To us westerners it's normal to be wearing shorts and vest tops but in other cultures they just don't understand it and it's not considered acceptable.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful read. Thank you for this great advice - you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're ready for all your american travels now xx

      Delete